Discord is a social media tool for gamers and streamers all around the globe. It is of course free of cost and you can use voice and text to chat with your gaming buddies. Like other social media platforms as well you can report a chat that offends you or does not go as per the policy of Discord. For new users, it is quite hard at first to report someone but through this detailed guide on how to report someone on discord, you can easily manage to do that. Go through the whole article to know more.
When to report someone on discord?
You just cannot report someone on discord because his views did not match yours. There has to be a strong reason to do that or else reporting on work. Usually, spamming, harassing, threatening, and other kinds of abusive things are reported on several occasions on Discord. To check on the full list go to Discord’s Community guidelines page and read on. However here we have listed few common things that get reported usually. Check if the message or user you want to report falls on any of the features mentioned below.
Harassment or bullying:
Disagreement with someone is fine but if it crosses over the limit and repeats a greater number of times then you can report it to discord. Any kind of Harassment or bullying is not tolerated by Discord on their platform.
Hate speech or hurting Religious sentiments:
If someone is spreading hate or hurting religious sentiments through hate speech then you should strictly report it to discord and the moderators will take care of the report in an unbiased manner.
Violence threats, death threats, or any kind of threats:
If a user gives harmful threats to you or any other it is your right to report him or her on discord and his id will be actively banned on discord after investigation if found guilty. Any kind of threats even minor ones are also looked at carefully by the moderators of discord.
Spamming or evading server bans:
If someone you have blocked earlier repeatedly tries to spam you with a series of messages from a fake id or account to get access to your profile, then it should be reported as soon as possible.
Reporting someone on Discord:
Now that you have figured out that the user has violated a policy provided by discord you can report him or her on Discord and do that follow the steps given below
- First, you need to turn the developer mode on Discord. In the discord mobile app, reporting is quite easy as you have to just click on the report tab but if you are using discord through your desktop you need to turn on developer mode and find id codes to report.
- Click on the gear icon that you will find in the bottom left corner along with your name.
- There you need to select the “appearance tab”
- Scroll down a little bit to discover the Advanced section and click on it
- Once in the advanced section, you will find the option to enable or disable developer mode. If it is not enabled for your account then click on the toggle switch to enable developer mode.
- Once you are in the developer mode, go to the message you marked for reporting and then right click on the user id you want to report. There you will find the unique user id so if someone changes his/her user id as well, the unique id won’t change. Copy the unique user id and paste it on a notepad or document.
- Thereupon, go to the message you want to report and again right click on it and copy the id similar to the previous method and name it as message id.
- Next go to the server icon which you will find on the left side of the screen, right click there and copy the id, and name it as server id. Now that you have three ids you can send your report to discord moderators.
- Now go to Trust and Safety request center on discord. Thereupon, type your registered email id. Select your report type from the drop-down list.
- Mention the subject of the message and mention the incident in detail along with the three id codes you have saved earlier. If you have a screenshot saved of the incident, you can attach it too as it will help the moderators to take strict actions.
- Once you have finished all the steps mentioned above, you can click on the Send report button to send your report and complete the reporting process.
Rules you should follow so that you don’t get reported:
Apart from the reasons mentioned above and on discord, you should also take care of the following things so that moderators of discord don’t ban you
The NSFW label is meant for Not Safe For Work content. If your channel promotes adult content or any content that possesses adultery should strictly use the NSFW label or they may get banned after warnings.
Your content should not in any way sexualize minors or produce adult content that has a minor in it. Not only you will get banned from Discord forever but law enforcement will take legal action on you for doing that.
Sexual Content without permission-:
If you share the content of the sexual nature of someone who has not to give you the right to do so then you will be up for trials on discord and your channel may get permanently banned.
Reporting someone for a policy violation is okay but if you falsely accuse someone in discord to satisfy your ego, then you can also be reported or your account may get banned as well after warnings. It is not a good practice to report someone falsely just because you don’t agree with their perception.